Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Part 1: Installing & Configuring Snort

Snort is an open source network intrusion prevention system (IPS) capable of performing real-time traffic analysis and packet-logging on IP networks. It can perform protocol analysis, content searching,  matching, and can be used to detect a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts and more.
Snort uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect or pass, as well as a detection engine that uses a modular plug-in architecture.

Snort has a real-time alerting capability as well, incorporating alerting mechanisms for syslog, a user-specified file, a UNIX socket, or WinPopup messages to Windows clients using Samba's smbclient. Snort has three primary uses. It can be used as a straight packet sniffer like tcpdump, a packet logger (useful for network traffic debugging and so), or as a full-blown network intrusion prevention system.  [Source: Snort Web site & Webopedia Web site]


Because Snort is an open source, each user has to tweak the Snort program for their use.  Below is a easy to follow PowerPoint presentation  to make your experience smoother.

.

My experience took me about a whole school day to complete and another day to document the process and create the above PowerPoint presentation.  Each step was an adventure in itself with a few pitfalls to challenge my patience.  However, the bigger the challenge the more committed I become in overcoming it.  

The assignment was to find Snort and follow the instructions to prepare, install and configure Snort for your computer.  Warning:  Snort can run on both Linux and Windows, so make sure you are following the correct instructions.

I began with the search-engine GOOGLE and searched for snort.  www.snort.org. 

     1st Pitfall was to click on download Snort and figure out the next steps.  I tried to install the installer but it did not work.  Did some research and found out I needed to add an .exe extension to install it because right now it was saved as a Linux installer.  However, I was caution to go back to the snort website to look at the requirements before I installed Snort, I would need to prepare my computer.  So back to Snort, I went. 
    
     At the Snort website, I looked at requirements for the first time and thought to myself.  Take the time to read instructions... I click on Requirements icon and found out a note for Windows user:  If you're downloading Snort binaries the only requirements are WinPCap and Barnyard.  I clicked on WinPcap, downloaded and installed it.  Easy, no problem....

     2nd Pitfall was installing Barnyard.  I scrolled down and saw Barnyard2 and tried downloading and installing it, but it would not work.  Oops, what's next?  Once again, I decided to search Google for the Barnyard for Windows  and looked through a few links and decided on the following site.  

http://napalmpiri.info/2009/06/10/windows-snort-and-barnyard/  

     It stated, "When installing Snort on Windows [...], the requirements include Winpcap and Barnyard..  Unfortunately Barnyard for Windows is not that easy to find: as you can read here, you can find a packaged Barnyard for Windows at  http://codecraftconsultants.com/Barnyard/, including source."  And, "It may be useful, although not ready for production deployment."

     I double-click on it and found the following link:  Barnyard_02_Build19_Installer.exe  downloaded, renamed it with an .exe extension and installed it.  Yes, Barnyard done.

     3rd Pitfall, I went back to the Snort website.  The next step was to download the rules, I did that however,  it did not work.  So, I went back to Google and searched for Rules for installing Snort on a Windows platform and I clicked on the pdf file for installing Snort 2.8.6.1.on Windows 7 link. 

 http://www.snort.org/assets/151/Installing_Snort_2.8.6.1_on_Windows_7.pdf

 This link provided me with the instructions to install and verify Snort is working correctly.  Some of the errors I dealt with pertained to changing instructions to a Windows format or placing a remark code (such as REM or # sign) in front of Linux only instructions.

I hope my experience helps you to avoid some of the pitfalls in setting up Snot. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions below:








No comments:

Post a Comment